Kalijiri or black cumin (Nigella Sativa) is an ancient Indian spice that has been known to have numerous medicinal properties and health benefits. The scientific name of Kalijiri is Centratherum anthelminticum and is known by various names such as kaala jeera, kala jeera, kala jiri, etc. It has anthelmintic, anti-microbial, anti-bacterial, anti-hyperglycemic, diuretic, stomachic, anti-ulcer and blood purifying properties that make this plant as one of the most important herbs in Ayurveda.
- Kalijiri is an excellent herb for inducing weight loss. It removes excess cholesterol from the body and aids in weight loss.
- Kalijiri seeds are very helpful in improving digestive health. The enzymes present in the seeds help in digestion and promotes appetite.
- It acts as a natural blood purifier and eliminates toxins from the body.
- Kalijiri helps lower blood sugar levels. It promotes insulin secretion from the pancreas thus combats type 2 diabetes.
- Kalijiri is also applied externally for various skin problems. It helps reduce itching and skin irritation.
- Kalijiri has potent anthelmintic action against worms and parasites. It is effective against intestinal worms and parasitic infestation in humans.
- Kalijiri is beneficial for lactating mothers as it enhances the quality of breast milk.
- The antioxidant activity in Kalijiri helps repair the damaged cells rejuvenates the whole body.
- It can detoxify and clean the liver. A clean liver induces weight loss, boosts the immune system and increases energy and vitality.
- Taking Kalijiri in times of menstruation can stimulate menstrual flow, regulate irregular menstruation and eases menstrual cramps in women.
- It has a calming effect on the brain and the central nervous system. It enhances brain power and concentration.
- Kalijiri is also effective for respiratory disorders. Regular consumption of Kalijiri oil or black cumin oil improves the symptoms of asthma and prevents sudden onset of asthma attacks.
Although Kalijiri is one of the most common spices used in the Indian kitchen, the medicinal benefits of Kalijiri goes un-noticed. Thus, including this ayurvedic herb in our daily diet can benefit health in numerous ways.